Risk Assessment for Piano Lessons from August 2020 until further notice.
This is an active document and changes will be made as / when required.
Effective date: 7.8.20
Last revision: 01.09.21
Next review date: 01.01.22
This Risk Assessment has been devised in line with the current Government guidance on managing COVID-19 cases within workplaces.
And in conjunction with the current guidance from Musician’s Union. https://www.musiciansunion.org.uk/Home/Advice/E
1. Transmission of Covid-19 infection between pupil(s), accompanying parent / carer and teacher
Pupils, accompanying adult and teacher
Fatal / major illness
· Pupils who are clinically extremely vulnerable and those who are living in a household with a person who is extremely clinically vulnerable should advise the teacher before attending face to face lessons; it may be necessary to put extra measures in place or for lessons to take place online.
· Pupils are not to attend face to face lessons if they or a member of their household is showing Covid-19 symptoms. They should follow current government exclusion/isolation guidelines and arrange a Covid-19 test as soon as possible. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-stay-at-home-guidance/stay-at-home-guidance-for-households-with-possible-coronavirus-covid-19-infection
· Pupils to self-isolate for 10 days if a member of their household or “bubble” shows Covid-19 symptoms and should not attend face to face lessons. Lessons can be arranged online via Zoom or Skype during this period, after which they can return to lessons as long as no symptoms are being displayed.
· Teacher to follow same precautions and will cancel face to face lessons in the event of any Covid-19 symptoms and will arrange a test. In the case of a positive test result, all lessons will revert to online only or may be cancelled for a period of time depending upon severity of illness.
Hygiene and control measures:
· All pupils and accompanying parent / carer will be given antibacterial hand-gel upon arrival at the house and on leaving.
· All pupils and accompanying parent / carer to wear a face mask for piano lessons, or for arriving and leaving for flute lessons (unless exempt for age or health reasons). Masks to be worn whilst teacher demonstrating / playing flute.
· Teacher to wear face mask for entirety of lesson, unless demonstrating / playing flute.
· During flute lessons pupil and teacher to maintain a 2m distance whilst the instrument is being played and / or to stand side by side instead of face to face.
· The music room door will be left open to allow for ventilation.
· The piano and all surfaces (including the piano stool, music stand, waiting chair and door handles) will be cleaned using an antibacterial spray between lessons.
· Minimise sharing and touching of music books – teacher to re-use hand-gel before any books handled. Theory books for marking to be left for teacher to mark and return at next lesson.
2. Transmission of Covid-19 infection between different pupils
Pupils / parents / carers
Fatal / major illness
· Pupils to wait outside until previous pupil leaves. Pupils to arrive promptly on time (not early) to allow for this.
· All lessons to finish promptly on time.
Copyright © All Rights Reserved